Monday 7 December 2015

Evolution of poster designs and FINAL POSTER! - Callum Horncastle

So, after being assigned to create some drafts for posters, I've put my four drafts together for comparison, along with my final draft to be my main poster.

{Poster Version 1.0}
This was my first poster, which included a basic layout of a case file with the film title written over it.
The merged face of the main character and the antagonist was relatively well done.
However, overall I think this draft looked very unprofessional and very sloppy; I didn't like the layout at all and I quickly scrapped it for my next version.
                                                                                                                                                


{Poster Version 2.0}
I put a lot more work into my second poster, and was very pleased with the results, rather than merge the protagonist and antagonist together, I placed them apart with half of their faces submerged in darkness, which added massively to the effect.
I soon found that the landscape portrait didn't look very good as a poster, and looked more like a magazine cover, and so I converted it to landscape.
                                                                                                                                                


{Poster Version 2.1}
I much preferred the poster in landscape form, and it looked much more professional.
However I found the title's font to still look off, along with the colour being a bit too much.
The silhouette in the distance was nice, but I still didn't quite like this layout, as it just didn't look professional enough for my liking, as I wanted it to look 100%, being the perfectionist I am...
And so, after a long analysis, I scrapped this poster for a new one.
                                                                                                                                      


{Poster Version 3.0}
The last poster had a lot of warm colours, so I made sure this one had a very grey / blue tone, adding to the chill-factor. Which really worked with the positioning, the smoke added to the mystery, and the hat hiding the protagonist's mask added a lot of enigma and tension.
I made the title black and white to add simplicity, which made it more effective.
The film reviews and caption above the title made the poster look so much more professional.
I decided to settle with this poster layout, but I wanted to align a few things that seemed out of place...
                                                                                                                                                 

So, after a few tweaks, my final version was complete... Here it is...
{Poster Version 3.1}
The final version!!!
*trumpet sounds*




2 comments:

  1. This is good work Callum - well done! The images work very well, and colour and effects are great. Can you just fine-tune some details for the highest marks: 1 of the stars appears slightly missing on this version. West and Horncastle appear to be slightly different font sizes, and the spacing between first and second names is slightly different? Could you check this - it will look slightly unbalanced if left.

    ReplyDelete